Monday, January 18, 2010

Father and Holy Spirit on dome of Monastery of Temptations

These photos are from the dome of the central chapel of the monastery of Temptations (Quruntul) at Jericho, Palestine.  The Spirit is symbolized by the dove; the Son is not present.  The Father is depicted as pantocrator (ruler of all), and has a triangular halo, characteristic of depictions of the Father.  The halo has the Greek words, ho on, "the one who is," which is the Septuagint translation of the mystical name of God in Exodus 3:14, "I am."

God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” He said further, “Thus you shall say to the Israelites, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’”

These are the key phrases:

English: "I am who I am"  ---    "I am"
Hebrew: "ehyah asher ehyah" --- "ehyah"
Greek: "ego eimi ho on" --- "o on"









No comments:

Post a Comment